Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Vick's Longest Yard


This week a report came out that Michael Vick has been playing football while doing his time in prison. Then the prison that he is serving time at issued a statement that said that Vick missed most of the prison football season and therefore had not been playing. They said that he possibly could be throwing the football around with other inmates though.

I was just thinking, If I were Vick, I would not want to be playing football while in prison. Think about it, while he is definitely not enjoying the life of a sports celebrity or NFL Quarterback at the moment, he is surrounded by other shady characters. While Vick dominated the competition of the NFL with his legs, there were rules, even though other defensive players were trying to take him out and hit him with cheap shots and attempting to injure him at times, he is now surrounded by people who do not have much to live for, and obviously got to jail by not following the “rules” of life to begin with, so I doubt they are overly interested in following the rules of prison flag football. I would think Vick would have a target on his back if he were playing in such games, some inmates probably thinking the coolest or biggest thing they could tell others about is how they knocked Vick out or something. So if I’m Vick, I would stay away from the prison football field, if I were committed to starting to finally make good decisions at this point in life.

I can’t help but to think of Vick in Burt Reynolds’ role in the 1974 classic, The Longest Yard. Trying to lead his team as the quarterback of the inmates against the corrupt guards. I doubt that playing prison ball will make his eventual attempt of getting back into the NFL any easier, but if the inmates land ex-Bengals receiver Chris Henry after he inevitably gets some jail time in the next year, they should be able to take the guards with such a spectacular passing combination in the “annual” game.

No comments: