Friday, February 29, 2008

Samuel Signs With Eagles


Perhaps the best cornerback in all of the NFL, Asante Samuel, has gotten the money that he wanted from an unlikely team. Hearing the news today, from a good friend of mine who is from Philadelphia, was pretty shocking. Philadelphia has never been known for breaking the bank to sign free agents, actually more so known for a reluctance to pay the stars that they have created. Philadelphia has inked the former Patriots corner to a six-year deal worth a reported $57 Million.

The Eagles definitely needed to improve their secondary, they were last in the NFL in total interceptions. Most figured they would address the situation via April’s draft though. I do not necessarily believe that this is the move that is going to put the Eagles over the hump. I still do not believe even with this big money signing that they are better than any other team in the NFC East. I still like New York, Dallas, and Washington better next year.

I am a bit weary of this signing due to the amount of money that is being thrown at a corner who is 27 years old. I know based on the amount of money that has been thrown around in the last few seasons by teams to free agents that this is the going rate for great corners, but I totally disagreed with Nate Clements getting $80 Million over eight years last off-season from the 49ers. Samuel is a lot better than Clements by the way. In the NFL, more than any other position, many corners are on the downside of their career once they hit 28 and approach their 30's. It’s a young man’s position, your job is to chase wide receivers who are getting bigger and faster than most corners every year. The good thing about the NFL, for the owners, are the contracts are not guaranteed so if this deal does not work out for the Eagles their really only on the hook for about half of the contract. I just think its going to be throwing money away by the third season of this deal. If I believed the Eagles were one cornerback away from being a Superbowl Winner or even contender, and I guess they think they are (otherwise they wouldn’t have made this deal I suppose), then this is a deal I would have made. But I don’t believe for a second this makes them the team to beat in the NFC, or even the NFC East, so I believe they will ultimately regret it, just like the last time they broke the bank for a free agent with Jevon Kearse’s contract.

No comments: